A series of learning experiences through which the trainee progresses at his/her own pace in the skills of the occupation; and his/her increasing mastery of the skills is continuously assessed against appropriate pre-determined standards.
It provides for students/trainees to:
- know what they have to learn in advance;
- know how they will be assessed;
- be the focus of the learning experiences;
- appreciate that both theoretical knowledge and practical skills are valued;
- progress at their own pace;
- recognize learning as an individual experience;
- know how well they are doing at all times;
- inculcate work attitude that can be measured against international standards; and
- prepare for lifelong learning.